Thursday, November 17, 2011

Remember Me?


It's so easy to remember to ask God what we want from Him and it's so easy to forget to thank Him for what He's already given us.  So many times in my life, I've kept a roller coaster relationship with my Lord: I ran to Him whenever I was scared, confused or sad; but when everything was going fine, I knew that God would be there when the time was convenient for me.

No one likes to be manipulated that way; especially not God.

Of course He wants you to come to Him, but not just when the time is right for you. Just as Coleen York said, "God doesn't deserve your last thought, He deserves your EVERY thought."

I once read a beautiful short story that was so true in my life. A man finally opened up his heart to Jesus and let Him in. The heart was metaphorically a home with an office, dining room, library, etc.... Once Jesus came in, He began cleaning the man's heart. In the library, He threw away every book and magazine that didn't belong: books and magazines that would stop the man's growth and spiritual development. In the dining room, Jesus sat down and ate with the man every evening. (See Rev. 3:20). Once the rest of the house was clean, Jesus said to the man, "Every night I would like to meet with you in the library so we can spend time together." The man promised to do so.

So every night, Jesus would wait in the library. The man was committed for the first few days, but as time went on, he became "busy."

"Jesus, I can't tonight! I have so much work to do."
"Jesus, I can't tonight! I'm so exhausted!"
"Jesus, I can't tonight! I'm meeting up with some friends."

Then Jesus asked, "Remember me? The one who saved you, forgave you and loves you?

I can see this story so clearly in my life. There Jesus is, waiting to talk to me about my day and to teach me wonderful and amazing things, and there I am saying, "Sorry Jesus, I can't! I just feel like relaxing in front of my T.V.."

We so easily forget who God is; just like the Israelites.


God showed miracles to them time and time again, and they still complained to God for a king. We constantly fall into the same patterns as the Israelites. We forget what God has done, only remembering it when we've hit rock bottom.

"But I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High. I will remember the works of the LORD; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old." (Psalm 77:10-11)

I'm not a parent yet, but I know I would be deeply hurt if my child constantly forgot the sacrifices I made for them; if they only came to me when they needed something.

God addresses these kinds of people in the Bible:


1) Matthew 7:22-23: "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'"

2)
Revelation 3:16: "So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Is that what we want to hear the day we die? Or would we rather hear, 
'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' (Matt. 25:23)

Let us not only give thanks in November, but let us give thanks to God CONSTANTLY. In every moment, let us remember Him and thank Him for all He has blessed us with.

I hope you all have a very happy Thanksgiving with the ones you love. And let us not forget to remember God and all He has given us!

-Taleen Afsharian

No comments:

Post a Comment