Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sharp Rocks

When I think of the difficult people in my life, I often begin to think about sharp rocks. As much as we may complain about these particular people, "They're so stubborn!" "They never listen!" etc..., we must realize that they are in our lives on purpose. It wasn't a mistake because God makes no mistake. Many times, these sharp rocks are the very tools we need in our lives.

For some of us, this sharp rock may be a parent, a friend, a sibling, a teacher, a boss, or a co-worker. Whoever the person is, we must be thankful for there part to play in our lives. If everyone around us was easy to love, we wouldn't be able to determine if we were really practicing Christ-like love. "If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?" --Matthew 5:46-47

In the past, I asked God why he put a certain difficult person in my life. I asked God how he could possibly expect me to love and respect someone so stubborn and often times, so rude. Boy, was I in for a wake up call. Immediately, memories began flowing into my mind. I began to reminisce on all the times I was stubborn and rude with those around me; but most importantly, I remembered all the times I was stubborn with God. "God, I don't want to bring that friend to my youth group on Friday night! I won't be able to spend time with my other friends!" I remembered all the times I was rude to God: "God, I'll spend time with you later, I can't miss this T.V. show!"

Whatever complaints we have towards others in our lives, we have done the same and far worse towards God, yet, His love remains constant, unchanging, and it overflows with Grace.


"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." --Romans 8:38-39

If God can look past our filth, our complaints, our stubborness, and our rudeness, and still love us with this crazy love, why can't we love the sharp rocks in our lives?

Let us remember to thank God for the sharp rocks in our lives because it is through them that we practice Christ-like patience and love.


--Taleen Afsharian

No comments:

Post a Comment